Scholarships for GloCALL2018 Conference, Suzhou, China
(August 16th-18th, 2018)
The GloCALL Conference will be organized jointly with the 15th ChinaCALL Conference at the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University in Suzhou, China. The conference will be held from August 16th-18th, 2018.
Funding for two full scholarships and two partial scholarships to attend this prestigious and stimulating conference are available for Junior Scholars. Those wishing to apply should have a keen interest in CALL and feel they have something innovative and exciting to share at the conference.
Please take note of the following terms and conditions:
The scholarships are offered to Junior Scholars who are working closely with CALL and who need financial support to attend the conference.
The Scholarship awards provide the following:
Two Full Scholarships
- Claims for flight tickets not exceeding USD500 per person
- Accommodation at conference hotel on a twin-sharing basis.
- Exemption from registration fees
Two Partial Scholarships
- Accommodation at conference hotel on a twin-sharing basis
- Exemption from registration fees
Conditions of eligibility
- applicants must show proof of a presentation submission to the GLoCALL 2018 program committee.
applicants must be a native of a country that is NOT classified by the World Bank as a "High Income Economy". This includes countries whose GNI (Gross National Income) is 12,230 (USD) or greater.
Here is the full list of "High Income Economy" countries:
Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Chile, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Polynesia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Guam, Hong Kong SAR, China, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Rep., Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao SAR, China, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Oman, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Sint Maarten (Dutch part), Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Martin (French part), Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan*, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Virgin Islands (U.S.)
* Not a World Bank member economy, so added based on other indicators.
- successful applicants must be willing to take part in events held at the conference, if asked to do so.
The application form has been created in Google Drive. You will need a Google account (free) in order to apply. Your Google account name may be your email address on another mail service.
The following documents are required from all applicants:
- Statement of Purpose:
Send an email containing a personal "Statement of Purpose" of 200 words or less in length, that specifies firstly your current area of interest in CALL and educational technology for language learning, and secondly, how you hope to benefit from attending at GloCALL 2018. Exceeding the word limit of 200 words will disqualify your application.
- Curriculum Vitae
Upload a curriculum vitae (CV) which lists your personal background, education, employment, a list of any publications and oral presentations and any previous awards or scholarships that you might have received.
- Two letters of recommendation
Ask TWO recommenders to send one letter of recommendation each directly to the following e-mail address:
- Please inform each recommender that the subject line should read: Recommendation
- At least one recommendation should come from someone who has recently worked closely with you and who is familiar with your efforts in CALL and Information technology.
- The committee prefers recommendations that come from different sources, rather than all from the applicant's current educational institution.
- Please be sure that the recommenders have sufficient time to prepare your recommendation by the submission deadline. Late recommendations will not be accepted and you will be disqualified.
- Although there may be a delay due to checking the email account, recommendation submissions will be confirmed by a reply from email@example.com
- March 31, 2018: Deadline for Scholarship Applications - including the receipt of all CVs and references
- May 1, 2018: Notification of Scholarship Decisions
Scholarship Selection Committee:
- Matthew Cotter: Hokusei Gakuen University Japan – Head
- Dr Lee Kok Yueh: Universiti Teknologi Brunei, Brunei – Deputy Head
- Four other undisclosed members including past scholarship recipients